December 9 & 10 (Sat/Sun) – Coralville, Iowa (FULL)
Jan. 13-14 (Sat/Sun) – Coralville, Iowa
Feb. 3-4 (Sat/Sun) – Coralville, Iowa
April 14-15 (Sat/Sun) – Coralville, Iowa
May 19-20 (Sat/Sun) – Coralville, Iowa
Courses by request.
Will travel to your site – minimum number applies. Please inquire.
This two-day ‘hands-on’ course is designed for health professionals who conduct spirometry testing in industrial and clinical settings. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)-approved course is designed to provide a comprehensive theoretical framework combined with practical training necessary to conduct spirometry testing and screening for workers.
OSHA standards and 2013 Guidance on Best Practices of Occupational Spirometry Testing, the 2005 American Thoracic Society (ATS) Spirometry and 2011 American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (ACOEM) Spirometry Update Guidelines are reviewed. Real-life examples of spirometry testing results are utilized to help understand the importance of these testing regulations and adherence to them.
Participants will be able to:
- Understand basic pulmonary anatomy and physiology and how different diseases affect normal lung function and gas exchange.
- Relay how spirometry testing can objectively assess lung function and what parameters are measured during testing.
- Build a pulmonary function (spirometry) quality assurance program.
- Calculate and understand basic spirometric calculations.
- Recognize correct spirometric technique, testing errors, and necessary coaching to correct errors.
- Appreciate the need to compare changes in spirograms and how the change is calculated.
This course is jointly sponsored by The University of Iowa College of Public Health, Heartland Center for Occupational Health and Safety, WORKSAFE IOWA, and the University of Iowa College of Nursing.
This course is approved for nursing continuing education credits. Continuing education credit designations are pending through a partnership with Kirkwood Community College (KCC) and will be available by course date. KCC requires full-time attendance for CEU award.
Courses are conducted in the Iowa City/Coralville, Iowa area. Sponsor may travel to the requesters’ site to give courses – please call or e-mail to inquire.