- Sept. 29-30 (Sat/Sun) – Coralville, Iowa
- Oct. 22-23 (Mon/Tue) – Coralville, Iowa
- Nov. 8-9 (Thurs/Fri) – Coralville, Iowa (Full)
*Please contact us to register
Additional courses by request – minimum number applies. Please inquire.
Will travel to your site – minimum number applies. Please inquire.
This two-day ‘hands-on’ course is designed for health professionals who conduct spirometry testing in industrial and clinical settings. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)-approved course is designed to provide a comprehensive theoretical framework combined with practical training necessary to conduct spirometry testing and screening for workers.
OSHA standards and 2013 Guidance on Best Practices of Occupational Spirometry Testing, the 2005 American Thoracic Society (ATS) Spirometry and 2011 American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (ACOEM) Spirometry Update Guidelines are reviewed. Real-life examples of spirometry testing results are utilized to help understand the importance of these testing regulations and adherence to them.
Participants will be able to:
- Understand basic pulmonary anatomy and physiology and how different diseases affect normal lung function and gas exchange.
- Relay how spirometry testing can objectively assess lung function and what parameters are measured during testing.
- Build a pulmonary function (spirometry) quality assurance program.
- Calculate and understand basic spirometric calculations.
- Recognize correct spirometric technique, testing errors, and necessary coaching to correct errors.
- Appreciate the need to compare changes in spirograms and how the change is calculated.
This course is approved for nursing continuing education credits. Continuing education credit designations are through a partnership with Kirkwood Community College (KCC) and participants are awarded 15 contact hours. KCC requires full-time attendance for contact hour award.
Registration fee is $500 per person for the 2-day NIOSH Approved course. Registration includes all course materials, nursing contact hours, NIOSH Spirometry certification upon successful completion of the course (valid for 5 years) and light morning snacks (Coralville location only). Course times are 7:30 AM- 5 pm (Day 1) and 7:30 AM-4:15 PM (Day 2).
Courses are conducted in Coralville, Iowa. Sponsor may travel to the requesters’ site to give courses – please call or e-mail to inquire.